What is the coloured vascular ultrasound?
Coloured ultrasonic-tomogram of vessels (Triplex vessels) is the specialized echocardiographic study of blood vessels in which the morphology of the vascular lumen and the blood flow into this lumen are controlled. In this way, the physician can determine:
- the degree of atherosclerosis in the vascular wall,
- the existence of vascular lumen stenosis,
- the changes of blood flow due to stenosis.
Based on this information the doctor can draw conclusions about the perfusion level of various organs of the body.
Which vessels are examined with this test?
- PERIPHERAL VESSELS
- Carotid and vertebral arteries
- Arteries of the upper limb
- Arteries of the leg
- Veins of the upper limb
- Veins of the leg
- VITAL VESSELS
- Abdominal aorta
- Renal arteries
- Splenoportal axis
In which cases does my doctor refer me for triplex vessels?
The most common cases the doctor will refer you to examine your vessels are:
- Regular control (check up) when there are multiple predisposing risk factors for coronary heart disease
- Checking after transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Arterial Hypertension
- Stretch – Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Arteriopathy of the leg
- Venous insufficiency – Varicose veins
- Venous Blood Clots (Thrombi)
- Kidney Diseases
- Liver Diseases
What is the examination procedure?
The process is very simple. The vascular examinations do not require any preparation. The examination can be done in a clinic, a medical center or a hospital by a doctor with special training, and it is painless. The duration depends on how many and exactly which vessels are examined.
During the examination, the examinee is usually lying down and, for better dissemination of ultrasound, the doctor spreads a special gel on the skin area to be tested. During the examination a rhythmic sound like a blast representing the blood flow inside-the vase is heard.
Upon completion of the examination, the examinee may leave immediately.
The vascular ultrasound examinations, as all ultrasound examinations are biologically harmless.